WHERE TO STAY
As you might imagine, Havana has no shortage of places in which to stay. Actually, what determines where you stay depends more on your needs than anything else as hotels in Havana (as with elsewhere in Cuba) are not overly expensive (with the more expensive ones being in the $100 a night range). The following, then, are all worthy of your consideration:
· Habana Libre Tryp - part of the state-run Tryp chain, this hotel is conveniently located in the central part of town
· Hotel Nacional de Cuba - Havana's ultimate luxury hotel!
· NH Parque Central - this colonial style luxury hotel is set in the heart of the city
· Habana Riviera Kawama Caribbean – an infamous hotel of luxury constructed by the mobsters during the US prohibition days. In its heyday this hotel used to be the finest in all of Cuba!
· Hotel Capri - another of those luxury hotels originally built by the mobsters!
· Hotel Inglaterra - has the claim to fame of being Havana's oldest hotel
Beyond being comfortable and clean, not a lot can be said about Havana's 2 and 3-Star hotels, but here they are anyhow:
· Hostal Valencia
· Hotel Kohly
· Hotel Plaza
· Hotel Lido
WHERE TO EAT AND PARTY
As is the case wherever you go in Cuba, Havana has a delightful selection of food choices available. However, being as it is an island, you can be sure that seafood is probably going to be on the menu at most... As for partying, well you're in Havana- aren't you? - And the night belongs to Havana with the place vibrating to the sounds of salsa, jazz and carnival music all night long. Here are some of the places to look out for:
· Al Medina - a Middle-eastern restaurant with Cuban flavor;
· Café Cabtabte Mi Habana - salsa club
· Chan Chan - waterfront restaurant with live music
· Club Jazz - a world-class jazz club for those who love the tunes!
· Don Cangrejo - picturesque restaurant overlooking the ocean
· El Floridita - one of Hemmingway's favorite places to grab a bite to eat
· El Patio Colonial - set in one of Old Havana's courtyards, delightful fountains set the backdrop to this superb restaurant, which is widely regarded as a being one of the most romantic in town
· El Rancho - Havana's swankiest restaurant!
· La Bodeguita Del Nedio - the restaurant Hemmingway made famous!
· La Mina - the restaurant to dine at if you enjoy watching street life
· La Cecilia - another of Havana's salsa clubs
· Tropicana - world famous salsa club